Food For Collagen Building

You are what you eat. When it comes to skin and beauty, what you put into your body is just as important as what you put onto your body. Changing your diet can have impressive effects on your skin. As you age, your body naturally slows down the production of collagen, a protein responsible for keeping skin healthy, plump and young-looking. To combat the natural aging process, try adding the following five foods that help build collagen to your diet.

Red peppers.

Red Vegetables
Experts recommend consuming red vegetables for collagen building due to the lycopene contained within. Brooke Alpert, a New York based nutritionist, says “lycopene acts as a natural sunblock, protecting the skin from damage while increasing collagen levels.” A study published in the British Society for Investigative Dermatology reports similar findings. Subjects of the study who consumed tomato paste had 33% more protection from sun damage than a control group of participants. If tomatoes aren’t your thing, pick up other red vegetables like sweet red peppers, chili peppers or beets.

Salmon with herbs and lemons

Fish
“Fish like tuna and salmon are loaded with omega-3 fatty acid,” Alpert says. This benefits your skin, and collagen function, because cells are protected by a fatty membrane that surrounds them. With this fatty membrane in place, cells function properly and are able to fully support the skin structure. Aim to eat fish two to three nights per week to get your omega-3 fatty acids. Another excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids is walnuts, so you may want to keep those on hand for quick and healthy snacking.

Kale

Dark Green Vegetables
Dark green vegetables such as kale and spinach can help boost your collagen production. Orlando dermatologist, Dr. Dimitry Palceski, states “vitamin C has antioxidizing properties that stabilize the messenger enzymes that break down collagen. It also protects against free radicals to prevent weak collagen.” It’s quite easy to incorporate more dark green vegetables into your diet. Swap iceberg lettuce for more nutritious alternatives such as romaine, butterhead and arugula lettuces.

Soy

Soy
Soy contains plant hormones that serve as antioxidants known as genistein. Genistein helps to block enzymes that are harmful to collagen as well as prompting the production of collagen. Another reason to enjoy soy for great skin is the plant-derived compound isoflavones. A specific form of isoflavones called aglycones lessen visible signs of aging like fine lines and wrinkles. Tofu and tempeh are excellent sources of soy, and tempeh has tons of protein. However, you don’t have to love tofu to get soy in your diet. Substitute your regular or chocolate milk for soy milk or try a soy-based cheese on your next pizza.

White tea.

White Tea
You know that drinking green tea has some great health benefits, including some for your skin, but you might want to swap your green tea for white tea to help build collagen. A Kingston University London study looked at green tea skin benefits and white tea skin benefits and the data showed that white tea is estimated to have three to six times the amount of green tea when it comes to protecting the skin’s matrix. White tea is thought to protect the structural proteins of the skin, collagen included. Additionally, white tea adds antioxidant benefits that fight free radical damage.

Eating a well-rounded diet full of vitamins, minerals and other important nutrients may dramatically improve your skin from the inside out. When you incorporate the proper ingredients into your diet, your skin will reflect these healthy changes and become clearer, stronger and more radiant. The next time you take a trip to your grocery store, load up on these foods to protect your skin and help build collagen.

80 thoughts on “Food For Collagen Building

1. Gabrielle

I had not been as aware of the benefits of white tea before. Thank you! Definitely going to add this in to my healthy eating (and drinking) regimen!

2. Marnie G (Derrick Todd)

The food you eat is so important. Most people dont give enough thought to the fact that what they put into their body is asWimportant as to what products they use on the outside of their body. It is best when you pay attention to both.

3. Dorothy Boucher

I know for myself I try to eat healthier and do my part in taking care of my body, I don’t think I have had any white tea before but from reading this I do plan on looking this up, thanks for sharing

4. Janice Santillo

My skin could defintely use some Collagen, just need something that won’t make my skin greasy as I ted to break out.

5. Tenley Erickson

I love fish and dark greens! I think i could do a better job drinking less coffee and more teas. I am interested in trying the white tea. It is interesting that it seems to help skin so much.

6. Kay

We are what we eat. This article is another good example of this philosophy. I really enjoy eating all the foods mentioned (especially the red ones), so I know I’m on the right track.

7. Tallin

Wow this is very useful to know I’m always worried about aging as I’m sure most women are, so I found this articulate very informative I love my green tea but I might have to try out white tea after reading this. Thanks for the informative article

8. Jeanne Coulombe

It’s so true the old saying you are what you eat. Eating a healthy diet and lifestyle does show up on your skin. Thanks for the chance to try your wonderful product.

9. Tamra Phelps

I had never heard about white tea! I have heard about green vegetables, fish, etc., & I try to include them in my diet.

10. Jeannine LeCompte

Love the soft and light texture of Vine Vera day cream. It made my skin look radiant at my son’s wedding!

11. Rebecca Ng

I love eating vegetables and fish. I always drink green tea but maybe I should give white tea a try after reading the post.

12. Patricia B

I’ve been consuming almost every product on this article since I can remember, except for white tea, I’m a black tea lover :)

13. Christina A.

Ooo…I love red peppers so this is good reason to amp those up! I definitely see a difference in my skin when I am eating wholesome foods.

14. Mishallini

Really I should try these because the food are easy to get and healthier too..It wont have any side effects and definitely will make my face healthier as well as my body too…I love drinking green tea and now I should change my drinking pattern …..Now I will go for white tea…

15. M.Clark

This is a wonderful post. I have all of these foods in my diet already, but what surprised me was the white tea. You hear so much about the benefits of green tea in the media, having someone say that you should drink white tea instead of green tea comes as a shock. I will definitely be adding white tea to my diet. Thank you for sharing this post.

16. elisha price

Would love to try.I love natural, organic products!! I eat alot of fruits and veggies, and try to buy most locally grown and sold :)

17. april quebedeaux

Wow…. I didn’t know all the health Benefits that were in red veg, white tea n soy…. very helpful…

18. Dawn Minard

Wow I drink a lot of green tea, I am now going to switch to white tea and see if I notice any difference. Sounds fantastic!

19. Leen awwad

I absolutely love how specific and how explained the ingredients are. It makes me feel good to know what am i putting on my face and knowing each element what it does and how it works. It just makes me feel more comfortable about rhe product. Plus! It is all natural ingredients.

20. Addie F.

This was so informative! I knew about the salmon and leafy greens, but I had no idea about red vegetables and white tea! I’ll be adding those into my diet more often.

21. sheila ressel

I didn’t know white tea had collagen building properties in it. Sounds like I need to switch from my regular black tea.

22. Dee Washington

Saving this post..as sometimes we get forgetful as we get older and the hussle of life…Any thing that keeps my face looking young is always a plus

23. Wanda Bergman

These are some of my favourite foods, especially the red peppers and fish. Nice to know they are good for collagen-building.

24. Kim Neufeld

Fortunately I like most the foods in this article. And although I love tea, white tea has not been my first choice. Since I need help building collagen, I will try and incorporate it into my diet.

25. SHARON MARTIN

INFORMATIVE INFORMATION ON “YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT”….. WILL TAKE THIS INFO AND USE IT TO MAINTAIN MY COLLAGEN!!!!

26. Christine Judge

Thank you for sharing this article! I have been trying to change my diet more for better overall health. I will be trying to add some of these food ideas into my diet to help with my beauty as well.

27. Jamie Johnson

I totally agree with this article. Not that long ago, I was hospitalized because of stomach complaints. It turned out I had 2 ulcers that had ruptured and tore my stomach lining. Ever since then, I have had to change my diet drastically. I cut out ALL fried food, ate more fish and legumes, and I have never felt better in my life! I believe what you put in your body is just as important as what you put on your body.

28. Carmela Capano

Thank you for an awesome article! This has been very helpful! Eating healthy is good for your overall health and skin.

29. sally john

Again a very detailed post , on a topic which is often neglected that we have to have a good diet, healing from inside. All these foods in our diet will help in permanent collagen building and then the topical ones will help external harms.

30. Ciera

I do most of these things now. I have also stopped drinking soda altogether and have been drinking more water. I have noticed great improvement overall. Omega-3s also help your body to burn stored fat in the body. Chia seeds are also high in Omega 3s.

31. gloria patterson

THIS REALLY MADE ME START TO THINK!

I am in the stage of making some major changes in what I eat, and what I do with the rest of my life. You just made me think. Thank you

32. Hannah C

This was a really informative article. I didn’t know that soy could be so healthy, I also didn’t know that it is good for your skin. I am glad I learned that!

33. Pingback: Use These Herbal Aids For Dry Skin - Vine Vera