Antioxidants are something that you frequently come across when you deal with things like diets and skin care. Have you ever wondered what they really mean? Yes, they help to protect your body from damage, but where do these things come from? Are they produced within your body or do you need to take supplements? How do they help your skin? The answers to all these questions is quite simple, but you need to understand the entire concept of antioxidants in order to understand what they really are and how they work.
What are antioxidants?
Antioxidants are substances that help in protecting your body from the damage caused by free radicals. They remove potentially damaging oxidizing agents from living organisms and help in improving their lifespan. For example, when you cut open an apple and leave it on your countertop, it starts to turn brown within minutes. This happens because of the damage caused by free radicals. Now, try pouring some lemon juice on the apple and watch what happens. The lemon juice acts as an antioxidant and protects the apple from getting damaged. The case is quite similar when it comes to your skin. The more antioxidants you add into your diets and skin care routines, the more protected your body is from free radical damage. Some of the most common food items that contain antioxidants include onions, tomatoes, kale, spinach, broccoli, strawberries, blueberries, orange, lemon, ground nuts and soybeans.
How do antioxidants benefit the skin?
Irrespective of your age, your gender or race or your type of skin, antioxidants are known to offer numerous skin and health benefits. This is why choosing food and skin care items that contain antioxidants is so important. Here are some of the main benefits that antioxidants have to offer to your skin.
- Protect skin against sun damage and cancer – There are a number of antioxidants which help you to protect your skin from the damage caused by the harmful UV rays of the sun. Sun damage forces your skin to become lifeless and dull. Antioxidants work by increasing the flow of blood to your skin and spurring the growth of new skin cells. This allows your skin to look younger and healthier.
- Speed up the skin’s natural repair systems – Antioxidants help in reducing oxidative stress and fighting free radicals. This helps you to counteract things like smoking, radiation, UV rays, air pollution, infection and alcohol. As a result, the natural repair systems of your skin can function more efficiently and effectively.
- Reduce inflammation – Antioxidants have anti-inflammatory results which lead to an increase in cell metabolism and blood circulation. This directly reduces the appearance of wrinkles and acne from your skin.
- Increase collagen production – When free radicals damage your skin, they cause your collagen content to break down. Antioxidants help your skin to recover the lost collagen by increasing the growth of collagen in the skin. This helps you to maintain your younger looks.
- Soften the skin – Antioxidants are also known to be very beneficial in purifying the skin and making it soft and supple.
Best Antioxidants for Skin Care
There are numerous antioxidants that are found in nature, but some of them are known to be much more effective than the rest. Here is a list of some of the best antioxidants for skin care.
- Vitamin E – Vitamin E is an antioxidant that is found in different kinds of meat, fruits and vegetables. It boosts the collagen production in order to make the skin look younger. This helps to reduce fine lines and wrinkles and get rid of age spots as well. Unlike some other antioxidants, Vitamin E is best derived through topical treatments.
- Green Tea Extracts – Green tea extracts are the latest superheroes in the world of antioxidants. They can contain catechins which can clear cell damage, repair wrinkles and help you to get rid of skin impurities. They can also reduce inflammation and tackle free radicals. However, green tea extracts do not offer any kind of sun protection whatsoever.
- Ascorbic Acid – Ascorbic Acid, also known as Vitamin C, can be found in fresh fruits and vegetables. It is usually considered to be extremely effective as an antioxidant because it boosts the production of collagen in your skin.
- Retinol – Retinol, a term used to define the Vitamin A molecule has long been known to be one of the most powerful antioxidants in the world. It is considered to be a must have in all anti-aging products and it can help your skin with all sorts of things such as reducing brown spots, removing redness and reducing breakouts. Retinol works by creating healthier skin cells and increasing the production of substances that support the skin. Retinol can also increase the production of collagen and firm up the skin as well.
- Resveratrol – Resveratrol might be relatively new in the world of skin care, but it is believed to be the most powerful ingredient to have ever been found. When applied topically, this red wine compound helps with anti-aging by boosting the production of collagen and reducing oxidative stress. It also helps in fighting the free radicals. Furthermore, Resveratrol is one of those few antioxidants that also offer enhanced sun protection.
Antioxidants are Better Together
Vine Vera found out that there are a number of antioxidants which work very well with each other. When you combine antioxidants that can work together, the results are extraordinary!