Vitamin E, also known as Tocopheryl acetate, has been classified as a heterocyclic compound as well as an ester. One of its most important functions is that it is used as a major ingredient for skin conditioning and as an antioxidant. Vitamin E is typically found in products such as vegetable oils, vegetables like avocado and asparagus and whole grains. It features among the most popular antioxidants that are used in skin care formulas for a good reason – it is not only known to be one of the most effective antioxidants, it is also famous as an excellent hydrating agent. Furthermore, Vitamin E is considered to be one of the key ingredients for building your immunity, ensuring healthy eyes and protecting your cells from damage.
Where to Get Vitamin E
The best place to get your daily Vitamin E dosage is through food. There are a number of food items such as green leafy vegetables, nuts, vegetable oils and seeds that are known to be excellent sources of Vitamin E. However, the unprocessed food items are considered to be the best options. There are a number of Vitamin E supplements available in the markets as well. Other ways of getting your daily dosage of Vitamin E include skin care creams and lotions that are applied topically. These lotions and creams can help you to reduce your wrinkles, remove facial lines and decrease the roughness of your skin. Furthermore, some studies have also shown that consuming Vitamin E can help you to ward off skin cancer.
How to make use of Vitamin E
Now that the importance of Vitamin E is clearer, you must be wondering on how to make use this all important ingredient.
- Protecting your Skin – Vitamin E oil can be an excellent substitute for lotions that are full of harmful ingredients such as alcohol and chemicals. It not only provides your skin with the requisite moisture, but it also helps in facilitating the healing process for your body. However, you are advised to refrain from applying pure Vitamin E oil as it can be extremely sticky and thick. The best time to apply Vitamin E oil is just before going to sleep. The best way to apply the oil is to mix it in equal amounts with Olive Oil and then apply it on your skin just before going to sleep.
- Anti-aging benefits – The production of collagen and the turnover of your skin cells is known to slow down as your skin begins to age. This can make the skin lose its elasticity and firmness. Unhealthy diets and habits, exposure to harmful chemicals and unwanted exposure to sunlight can also trigger the aging process and make your skin look saggy. Adding Vitamin E to your daily routine can help you to reverse the anti-aging process. It not only smooths out your wrinkles and fine lines, but it also reduces their chances of occurring in the future. Another factor which plays a huge role in aging your skin is the cross linking of proteins. Vitamin E is also known to prevent excessive cross-linking and protect your natural enzymes, thereby allowing the skin to look younger. Furthermore, your DNA degenerates as your body ages. This can result in a number of skin problems and premature aging. Studies have shown that topical applications of Vitamin E can prevent this process from occurring.
- Removing your makeup –Why use those harmful chemical solutions to remove your makeup when you can easily use Vitamin E oil to do so. All you need to do is to dip a ball of cotton in Vitamin E oil and use it to wipe the makeup off your face. This is the healthiest way of removing your makeup.
- Under-eye treatments – Vitamin E is suitable for application in the sensitive areas around your eyes. Make sure that you apply it on the skin around your eyes after a shower as it can help in preventing the formation of crow’s feet.
- Cleansing Agent – Vitamin E is considered to be one of the best cleansing agents as it can be used by people with all types of skin. Things like grime, dead cells, dirt and debris accumulate on your skin over time making it look tired and dull. Dipping a ball of cotton in Vitamin E oil and wiping your face with it can do wonders for your skin and bring back your glow. Ideally, you should cleanse your skin two times a day, once in the morning and once at night.
- Treating Sunburns – Topical applications of Vitamin E can be used to treat minor sunburns as well. Once applied on the skin, the Vitamin E gets absorbed into the epidermis and begins to heal the unwanted damage caused by the harmful UV rays of the sun. If the sunburn is severe, apply Vitamin E oil twice a day on the affected area of your skin.
- Treatment of Brown Spots – Brown spots crop up due to a number of factors such as liver issues, radical damage and aging. Using Vitamin E can help you repair and cure this damage. All you need to do is apply the Vitamin E oil on your brown spots and allow it to lubricate the cell membranes. Your cells should soon begin to regenerate and once this happens, the brown spots should begin to disappear.
Now that you’re aware of how beneficial Vitamin E can be for your skin, don’t you think you should give it some more attention. It’s not just something out of your school classes, it can actually do wonders for your looks as well.